Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Table Turning

We have a small white table that sits in the center of our kitchen.

It is oval shaped and from the day it began inhabiting our cooking space, it sat East-West.

Two days ago, I turned the table. It now sits North-South.

My family was astounded and the redirected oval has drawn much commentary.

“Um. Mom. What’s wrong in here?”

“Hey. Did you move something?”

“”Wow! There is more room.”

“I don’t like it.”

“It looks great!”

“It’s messed up my pacing pattern!”

“When I talk to you in the kitchen, I don’t know where to stand.”

(smile)

New.

A word pondered, celebrated and repeated at this time of year.

A word I am wholeheartedly embracing.

“Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now, it springs up, do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:18-19

Two days ago, I turned a table in my kitchen.

And each morning, I turn some tables in my heart.

A change of perspective. A redefinition of space. Momentary discomfort and inconvenience. A fresh result.

I persistently seek. Intentionally choose.

One new day at a time.

With Him.

His “table turning” produces the impossible.

"A way in the desert."

"A stream in the wasteland."

Hope for the hopeless places.

"Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3: 22-23

Amen and amen.