Tuesday, November 03, 2015

A & D Assignment Part 4: From Sea to Shining Sea

"God allowed us to accomplish what we set out to accomplish."

I whispered this to Jeff as we lay in the early morning dark unwilling to admit yet that we were, in fact, all the way awake. Jet lag. It is never fun. 

But our early morning conversations...those, I treasure. 

How very many times we have made travel plans, Jeff Cash and me. 

So many times. 

In our first years in Uganda, I was pummeled by the constant change of plans third world living afforded us. We never made a plan--from a grocery store trip to town to vacation in Kenya--that the plan was not altered or adjusted or completely scrapped.

For a girl secured by schedule and consistency, those early tumultuous days and years were challenging in very many ways. 

I wanted to be in control of something. Anything. 

But control was elusive. For awhile.

It doesn't feel this way in our day to day anymore. I don't know if that is because we are better planners or better predictors or if by some amazing miracle I have become more flexible and able to roll with the punches---but I don't struggle with the change of plans as often as I used to. (Gracious, someone needs to pray for me in the wake of such a statement! I'm inviting trouble with that bold boast ;))

Nonetheless, when international travel enters our immediate reality I brace myself for the inevitable. We are 6 humans and to see all of our Stateside people we must travel very, very many miles. There will be tedious planning and those plans may be altered along the way. Stomach bugs happen. Pneumonia happens. Losing important things happens. 

We sometimes forget, and we sometimes dawdle and we sometimes get too tired to keep up with it all. 

Early this year, when we considered a travel plan that would begin in Miami, Florida and end in Portland, Oregon with over 11,000 road miles between those two points, I crawled back into my bed in the fetal position.  

That plan was crazy. Buying a car. Securing insurance. Licensing. (in which state?) Hotels. My restricted diet. Jeff's pilot's license. Four months of living out of suitcases. Moving every single day down the road. Untold expense.

Could we do it? 

We prayed. I made lists. We prayed some more. 

And then, piece by meticulous piece, the trip came together. 

Money available just when we needed it. Just how we needed it. 

Not too early. Not too late. 

And off we went.  


The traveling Cashlings. 
They are my heroes!

First stop--Pompano Beach

The gorgeous Atlantic Ocean

We LOVE the beach!!


Perfection!


Where furlough REALLY begins:)


Jeff finishes his commercial pilot's license! 


Our new (to us) car! 


Let the road trippin' begin!

Universal Studios to celebrate Isaac's 13th birthday!


It was toasty warm in Orlando:)

But Harry Potter world was worth it all!

Some very happy Harry Potter fans:)

On to Georgia--

And beautiful Tennessee:)
Our first campus visit--Lipscomb is a gorgeous campus and we were warmly welcomed there!

Touring Nashville with a whole bunch of Cash!

Crossing the Mississippi


On to Arkansas

Second campus tour--Harding University (Jeff's alma mater) 
A wonderful day on an amazing campus!

Texas!

Provisions:)

Abilene Christian University
A great visit on this campus--our third college tour. 

On to Oklahoma for Global Reunion at Oklahoma Christian University
(this was Kinley's fourth college campus tour)


Then back to Texas


That West Texas sky welcoming me home!


The Sand Hills:)


Visiting Monahans and Wickett
Nana's and Papa's Hometowns
(Monahans was my first home!)

New Mexico
(Hobbs was my second home!)

Carlsbad Caverns

Back to Texas
And our fifth campus tour--Lubbock Christian University
Go Chaps!


Heading West
The Continental Divide


Standing on a corner...


in Winslow, Arizona:)

Vegas Baby! 
We hear there are so many fun things to do in Vegas but for us it was all about the Legos;)


Malibu! 

Pepperdine University was our last campus tour and, of course, it did not disappoint! Unfortunately, my phone did disappoint and so I have no pictures from our Pepperdine time. But just imagine stunning views of the ocean and some of the nicest people in the world and that's Pepperdine! 

Heading North with a stop at the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset--perfection!


The Redwood Forest

Big trees!

Jeff and Cheryl standing in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

Saying hello to Paul

Silas makes friends with all the animals:)

Finally....OREGON!

And Washington--Fort Vancouver!

The gorgeous Pacific Ocean with my favorite Oregonian

The Oregon Coast--one of our favorite places in the world
But of course:)

And the sun sets on our cross-country adventure.

Back to the skies...

Bright and rested...

... tired and weary, but so glad to be HOME!

Jet lag, sweet jet lag. Our old familiar friend:)


We love Uganda!


Here's to this man!
He drove SO many miles, so very well. 
Love him and appreciate him SO MUCH!


My people.
The best traveling companions a girl could ever ask for! 


"God allowed us to accomplish what we set out to accomplish."
We gratefully receive this gift acknowledging that He was with us (and ahead of us) every step of the way.
He is good. He is Faithful.
All Glory to Him!

"Where can I go from your Spirit? 
Where can I flee from your presence?
 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; 
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, 
if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
even there your hand will guide me, 
your right hand will hold me fast."
Psalm 139:7-10

2 comments:

Jim Coffey said...

Loved it. Who kept the car?

Cheryl said...

It's waiting for us in Oregon, Jim:) With kids heading to college in the near future, we figured a Stateside car would be useful for our family in that transition.