Saturday, August 13, 2016

Immeasurably More

Last spring our dear friends the Vaughn family began to seek a way for their Tori to visit with us in Uganda over the summer. The details of her travels came together in short order and we decided in all the planning to keep Tori's arrival a secret and surprise our kiddos with this blessing in a fun way. So with resolve and dedication we all stayed quiet about Tori's plan. 
It worked brilliantly and poured encouragement into our home in more ways than we even dreamed. 
God is good like that. 
Our Faithful Father of  every 'immeasurably more'...

A few months ago, Kinley came into the kitchen while I was cooking supper and started talking about missing out on stuff. This is a common conversation in April-May-June for our family. When the proms and awards and graduations start rolling through social media we all struggle a bit with what we are missing. It's healthy to discuss and my kids are so resilient through it--counting blessings and hanging in tough--but sometimes we still feel sad too. Anyway, at the end of Kinley's thoughts she said, "Mama, I just want something big to reset my heart. Some event or something to look forward to. I feel like I need some time with friends."

I was DYING!!!! I stirred and shifted pots and pans and nearly bit my tongue off! I had this assurance that Kinley was going to be granted exactly what she was asking for but I was consciously choosing not to tell her yet with every desire to make the moment ahead amazing and brilliant and fun. And then it hit me--This is what our God feels all the time for us. He KNOWS the GOOD AHEAD FOR US, even as we hurt and wait and long for things. He KNOWS THE ANSWER ALREADY! Oh, friends, I was so effected by this moment.

And I continue to be.

Some years ago—I had the honor of praying for the Vaughn family as they transitioned their lives and ministry from Benin to the United States. I was given a list of specific things to pray over, but for some reason it was Tori and her siblings that entered our family’s focus. My children were touched by the fact that the Vaughn kiddos would be courageously transitioning into new schools and new friends. Every evening as we circled to pray before supper we would petition for Tori and her siblings and for their transition to school specifically.


Not one single one of us knew what in the world we were joining into with that prayer—but our Lord knew. These kids of mine who had never even met Tori would ask for God to make a way for her and her siblings through school and with friends and with adjustment.


How could we have ever known or understood God’s answer to that prayer? 

Somehow, by His Spirit, the Cash family was granted a place in Tori's story and she garnered a beautiful, strengthening place in ours.

And this is exactly how our God shapes things. 


His good plans are always ahead of the need.



Our fellowship with the Vaughn family is completely wrapped up in that truth.






We’ve communed in the glory of His provision the last three weeks and for that we are so grateful.




















I am staggered in every good way to witness God’s faithful work in these beautiful, warrior hearts.






Come back and see us Tori Vaughn. 


You have had a place around our table for a long, long time.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21




No comments: