Thursday, August 09, 2012

Extravagantly Affordable


There are things, important things, that money cannot buy. But most everything has a cost anyway. Time. Energy. Control. We ‘pay’ and ‘spend’ something as we choose throughout our days.

I am blessed when I deliberately considering my ‘spending habits’ and how I speak about them.

“I feel like I accomplished NOTHING today.”

“Where did the time go?”

“That (moment, conversation, trip to town) felt like such a WASTE.”

“I wish I had done (fill in the blank) INSTEAD OF (fill in the blank).”

I am defining my circumstances from the standpoint of Me. 

My choices and my strength.

And I realize, I am depleting a shallow fund.

Not only that. 

But I am paying for something already purchased. Spending from a savings that is not mine.

Instead.

“…You are not your own; you were bought at a price….” 1Corinthians 6:19b-20a

I belong to Him.

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

He has PLANS.

“But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.” Psalm 33:11

Plans that are not currently, nor will they ever be, failing.

Plans that are good.

And the most amazing thing. The most astounding truth.

His benefits arrive in the PIT. In the MUCK. Where we are DISEASED.

“Praise the Lord, O my Soul, and forget not all his benefits-
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who REDEEMS your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion
who SATISFIES your desires with GOOD things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagles.” Psalm 103: 2-5

He finds us over our heads in the ugly and ridiculous and buys us right back.

To SATISFY.

He affords. So I can too.

I can afford

Time to read aloud to my children
 Stolen kisses in the kitchen
 Lingering cuddles
 Deep, healing breaths
 Quiet
 Memorizing scripture
 Forgiveness
 Writing
 Laughter
 Another cup of coffee

I cannot afford

Fret or worry
 Bitterness
 Self-pity
 What-ifs
 Regrets



Afforded unto Me

Coffee on the veranda in the cool of the morning
 Sweaters and cooling rains
 Time with sister-friend on my porch, in my house, in my world
 Time to write
 the book of Nehemiah
 Ability to read
 Watching the Olympics
 Time to think
 Being Home
 Today’s bread
 Opportunity to ‘not know’ but obey
 Witnessing initiative when (and where) I least expect it
 forgiveness
 Dinner time conversation
 Front row seat to God’s crafting, refining and shaping of the four Cashlings
 Every single hug
 Jeff



 “Praise the Lord, O my Soul, all my inmost being, praise his holy name.” Psalm 103:1



1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Thank you for this beautiful reminder of the gift of time.