Saturday, January 04, 2014

Free

In Ann VosKamp’s new year’s manifesto, this sentence wraps me up:

"I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God."

Like the comforting weight of a quilt in the midst of a cold, icy storm. It warms and soothes and begs me to remain cozy underneath.

Free.

From any condemnation.

It feels so good.

And yet, I find myself disquieted with it around me. The stillness, the lack of striving, and the relaxation feel foreign and confining.

I can see others who could use the warmth of this pieced together solid comfort but I struggle to accept the balm it pours over my own wounds.

The persistent rest settles over my struggling frame despite my resistance and feels agonizing and delicious.

Free.

From any condemnation.

Any?

I am struck by the condemnations that so quickly fill my mind. Other voices, my own voice.  Any rumors and gossip.  Failures. Missteps. Lies.

Free.

From any condemnation.

I pray long against those voices, forcing myself to stay in the embrace of the soft wrap. Asking for faith to believe.

Free.

From any condemnation.

Condemnation: a statement or expression of very strong and definite criticism and disapproval of, especially in public; censure; action of condemning someone to a punishment

Not a denial of accountability.

Not an escape from the immediate consequence of sin.

Free of condemnation. The disapproval from someone else.

“Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one.”
Romans 8:33-34a

“Christ Jesus…is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.” Romans 8:34b

For us.

“If God is for us, who can be against us?”
Romans 8:31b

Who?


I am choosing this.

I need the warmth. It heals.

I need the assurance. It empowers.

I need the embrace. It secures.

Freedom.

“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus…”
Romans 8:1

“The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings that we may also share in his glory.”
Romans 8:16-17

“Father, that all accusation we gather and spew and carry would be submissively brought to your feet.
 Before You all the blame falls listless.
 All the comparing and the judging silenced by the voice of our Christ:
Counting our wounds as his own.
Carefully examining our scars.
Pleading for all of us.”

“Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4:16


“Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” Psalm 124:8

No comments: