Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Shall We Dance?

For the first time since I entered this blog land I don't know what to say.

Its not for lack of thoughts. There are plenty of musings, considerations,  exasperations, confusions, and humorous antecdotes muddling through my mind.

But how to say it? I am at a loss.

I think it is officially called Culture Stress. And it occurs both when entering a new culture and when re-entering your home culture.

Culture stress for me looks a little bit like handing a ballerina a pair of army boots and telling her to dance. What was once delicate, graceful and coordinated becomes clunky, messy and kinda funny to watch.

I've never been an actual ballerina, but when it comes to coping, living life and functioning in society I used to feel coordinated. (:-)) Now, I cognitively know the steps, but can't manage the dead weight tripping up my feet. The heavy, burdensome "shoes" which are protective and important in one environment are frustrating my moment right now.

I've danced this dance before. And the outcome is always unique.

I probably won't ever be the "ballerina" I once was. I have to learn to dance a new dance. Learn how to manage the new shoes.

The key is really the music. And there is one Song that never fails to inspire.

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17

Can you see me dancing now?

3 comments:

KMiV said...

Well, hope you get to dance a little while you are in Portland!

Ron

KMiV said...

Cheryl,
This link is drawing quite a bit of attention with some of the folks here in Portland. Its about kids and the "Lord's Army".

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/

Ron

Kristi said...

Cheryl,
I love the way you explained culture shock/"stress" This is an area of interest for me. You put it into words very eloquently. Thanks for sharing!