Saturday, May 04, 2013

To Pause


Heathrow. So many people. Business travelers. Tourists. Families. Large groups. Lone travelers. Hurried and frantic. Or exhausted and still. Different skin colors. And fashion tastes.

So many souls and stories marching past our bleary eyed gazing.

We have safely reached London and wait for the next leg of our journey.

I sit among the movement taking in the beautiful shops and scents and options. Everything changes tomorrow.

Starbucks will not be just around the corner.

There is something peaceful about being at this juncture in our travel. I am sitting with absolutely nothing to be done (except find food for the boys. There is always that J) I have not had a moment like this in a while. On furlough, there is always a working list in my possession. The next thing that must be accomplished or started or finished. Our final week before departure is a long stretch of deadlines. I am thankful to be on the other side of the troubleshooting and planning and sorting and deciding.

Tomorrow will begin a new set of tasks. I am easing back into the reality that we fight to survive in Uganda. We push back against many things, big and small, to exist in safety and cleanliness. We work hard to live.

But there is nothing I can do about that today. I sit. I breathe. I write. I think.

I am thankful to be here.



No comments: