Friday, March 02, 2007

Quiet Water

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me. For I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28-29

What an unbelievable gift it is when someone recognizes that you are tired. Then validates it. Then offers you rest.

Rest involves surrender.

Two honorable practices, that my life needs more and more of.

Rest.

And surrender.

“Take my yoke…”

Jesus asks us, tenderly, to let Him lead. Gently. Humbly. Restfully led.

Can I confess to you that His isn’t always the leading I follow? Most often, I follow myself…which inevitably leads to me running in circles like a kitten chasing her tail.

Silly to watch. Completely unproductive. Exhausting.

Today, I seek His rest. His yoke. His gentleness.

Tuning my ear, again, to His voice. His commands.

Dear Father,
In the midst of the children’s noise…their growing, their learning, their needing…help me to take on your easy yoke, your light burden and follow you. Thank you for loving me anyway, on the days I “chase my tail”. Forgive me for not listening. Open my ears and my heart to heed your direction. I know you are the Way.
In Jesus I pray…


“The Lord is my shepherd…
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.” Psalm 23:1-3

4 comments:

Destiny said...

Great Blog!! Great Reminder!! With our furlough coming to an end- my stomics in knots, and there are sleepless nights to come...And Jesus' rest is waiting for me...
Love you!

The Gearharts said...

We had Church in Spanish for the first time today. We have bible studies, but this was the first actual worship in Spanish. 3 people came, and we didn't really know one of them so that was awesome. I started off almost feeling stressed.."do they feel comfortable" "Should I say something" etc. Then I thought of Gods peace, and realized God is in control. It is him who saves people. All I have to do is plant send or water. It really helped just to relax and go with the flow. I often have a hard time doing that. I need to do it more...even with my children.
Amy G

Anonymous said...

You know what ... we don't have a bathtub ... so a bubble bath is a little far reaching for me. Thank you for your gentle reminders! You are such an encouragement to me ... my fellow sojourner.

Love,
Jen

The Harris Family said...

Yea Cashes!! We've found you. Don't know if you remember us, but this is Jason Harris and Michelle Harris (Maggiora - "maggie"). We stumbled upon your blog and now have ANOTHER blog to read of people we are soo proud of and can't wait to pray for. Your children are beautiful. Especially the little one in the Cars shirt. We have a 3 year old that loves Cars.

God bless your family and the victories He is accomplishing through you.

Jason and Michelle Harris