Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Drive In

The 1950's, convertibles, The Outsiders and Grease all come to mind.

Hiding friends in the trunk. Falling in love. Breaking up. Hanging out.

The drive-in.

My first trip to the drive-in was with my Mam-ma and Granddaddy. We saw Black Beauty.

I was small and we wore our pajamas in case we got tired and wanted to fall asleep. I thought it was so cool to wear my pajamas to the movies.

That was a long time ago.

Tonight we revisited the old tradition.

We took our kiddos to the drive-in to see Over the Hedge.

It was really fun! We didn't wear pajamas this time and we didn't hide anyone in the trunk.

But a good time was had by all.

For my kids it had all the major ingredients for a splendid evening:
--they got to stay up LATE!
-- a play place with slides!
-- POPCORN, cheese sticks, M&M's
--Uncle Wade's presence (probably the most important!)
--and a cute animated flick with cool credit music

I can't say much about the movie. I think it was amusing but I wouldn't know for sure because I was on Silas-patrol. Which mainly consisted of wrestling, finding cups and pacifiers and trying to keep him from falling on his head on the gravel.

It's okay though. The snack bar had Blue Bell ice cream and that gave me energy to endure!

Basically, the drive-in experience rocks.

Whether you are surrounding by high school friends, your first love, or six kids ages 8 and under.

2 comments:

Shauna Wagner said...

Oh the drive-in. I miss it so much. I also grew up with the sneaking, the pajamas, kids crowded into the back of the station wagon, staying up late. Your kids will always remember these days.

Blessings to you and I am so glad that you are getting to have so much fun. Thanks for all of your encouragement. Keep writing.

-Shauna

Deeapaulitan said...

My first (and only) drive-in movie was Herbie. I wore my pj's too! My favorite part of the night was my mom crawling into the back seat with my brother and I to watch it. Growing up in a single parent household it was a rare treat to be doing anything extra curricular, and was even rarer to be doing it with said parent. No wonder it is so vivid in my memory.