Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Missing Peace

I've been struggling with worry the last few days. There is an issue I just haven't been able to let go of.

Funny thing about worry...it makes you lose your mind. No solutions. Just a fire hydrant spray of problems.

Here's what I've just been challenged with:

"He will keep in perfect peace
He whose mind is steadfast
Because his trust is in you." Isaiah 26:3

I long for perfect peace.
But forget to keep my mind steadfast...
Where is my trust?

I have to be proactive...in this battle of the mind.

And set it somewhere sure. Trustworthy. Right.

Then I'll always know where to find it.

"Since then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3: 1-2

Help me, Father to set my mind (and heart) with You. Every morning. Every night. And all those hours in between. I've practiced another way. And need to change that habit. Forgive me for not obeying your command to not worry and to cast my cares on You. Thank you for being willing and so very Able to carry all that rattles unnecessarily in my brain. Thank you for showing me a better way.
I need you Lord. Every day. All the time.
In Jesus I pray...

4 comments:

Trisha said...

Amen, my friend. I needed those words today.

Patty said...

Anything specific I can pray about? If not, know you'll be prayed for. This is one of those lessons I never seem to learn. I always think I've conquered it, but when the next problem comes up, out come those worry instincts again.

KMiV said...

We pray for you all on Thursdays--we will put this one on the list.

I guess when you look at Christ's peace versus the Roman peace we see that it is an acceptance of life and ability to push on.

Glenn said...

I'm back Cheryl. We claim to trust and have faith -but, we fake our dependence, and really don't expect Him to "work all things for good." Does that mean that we actually do not love Him? Oh, we want to, but can't seem to find the handle. As Peter responded, yes Lord, "I like you." Oh how I wish that I had the absolute trust in God and his promised Peace that I could just turn loose in faith. But I worry - about my grandchildren growing up to be strong Christians, about my children and their needs and problems, about my wife and her health and happiness, relationships. As an elder I worry about the church, my responsibility to the flock, divorce, trends, sin in the camp, finding God's will, etc... I wake myself up with worry and then worry attacks in such a way that sleepiness and peace flee.

But then I look about and realize that we do have peace that the world doesn't have - I see it in the eyes of Christians, I see it as they give their resources to help others, I see it in their relationships, I see it as they go out of their way to help and comfort, I see it in an older couple holding hands and just trusting in the Lord. It is there in ways we don't even realize. Is it 100%? No, but it is coming a little at a time. The peace of God starts as a trickle, but can and will become a river. It won't be a lake or an ocean in this life, but we are flowing in that direction.