Monday, March 03, 2008

"Blest Be the Tie that Binds"

On a furlough in 2000, Jeff and I were able to attend Lectureship at Abilene Christian University. During a leisurely stroll through the booths set up at Lectureship, I came across a Boy Scout display. The man who was standing by the presentation saw my interest and asked if I had any sons. I pointed to my stroller holding Baby Alex and said it would be awhile before we had a Scout. I added that my husband was an Eagle Scout as well as his two brothers. The man, whom I had never seen before said, "Do you mean the Cashes?!?!?"

One recent Sunday morning, Jeff left the house for church before the rest of us. Alex and Isaac came into the room and asked for my help with their ties. I explained that I didn't actually know how to tie a tie and that Dad was already gone. I did give it a shot, but my efforts only produced a funny twisted mess.

Alex, after watching my feeble attempts, took Isaac's hand and marched purposefully from the room, throwing over his shoulder, "I have an idea!"

A few minutes later, this is what I found.



Alex proudly displayed his two successes at grown-up ties...
Achieved by following the intstructions of his Boy Scout Handbook!

But. Of. Course.

Cashes are synonomous with Scouting. Apparently, everyone knows this. Including strangers at ACU Lectureship. :-)

2 comments:

KMiV said...

Amen, I learned to tie a tie, while my dad was in Vietnam, by the Cub Scout book. My mom was so thankful for that. I had to laugh when I saw your post. I wonder how many of us guys can attribute that little act to this big organization.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world! It's great.

Koni